Thursday, February 18, 2016

To my sister and new brother on their wedding day...

I wrote this post a couple of months before your wedding with intentions of posting it around the time of the big day, but things just got a bit crazy. I knew giving this speech at the wedding wouldn't go over so well because, a) I would probably need a bucket for my tears and not get through it, and b) I knew Jen and I wanted to write some words together. Since I am a full believer in always making sure to share your words, I had to publish this when I stumbled on it today.


Justin,


When I met you, you were a boy. You were a boy that was recklessly and immediately in love with my sister. I don't think it was a secret in the early years of you and Kelly's relationship that I was unsure of you. I was never really quite sure what your plans were for my sister. Even though Kelly was also young, she was rushed into a whirlwind of adulthood the moment she became a mother. You were not. I always knew your love was the real thing. I never doubted your feelings for her, for Ava, or even Kelly's feelings for you. But something held me back from accepting you. I can't say what that something was now-maybe fear, maybe an apprehension to let my sister belong so completely to someone else. But somewhere between those years in the past and now, something happened. You became a man. You became the man that I wanted in Kelly and Ava's lives, in all our lives, forever. You became my brother before this day. You are still headstrong. But you are also Kelly's rock, her solid ground. You are still that boy that recklessly loves my sister and my niece, but now I count that as a blessing. Love like that is rare. You know me. You know how important family is to me-and you know how important Kelly is to me. And you are it Justin. You are family. You are the man that I am proud has my sisters hand and my nieces heart. And I love you. You have been a part of this family for a long time, but today, you officially belong to us all-and I could not be more proud to call you my brother.


Kelly,


As your big sister, I have been blessed with being a part of every single moment of your life. I have witnessed all your firsts firsthand. There truly is no bond like a sibling bond. Our poor husbands. Today, you are getting married, and not unlike all the other milestones in your life, I will be beside you. In truth, this day still feels a bit unreal. I was just bouffanting your hair for prom yesterday. I was just crying over my letter saying goodbye as you headed off to college. I was just fumbling my tear ridden self into your delivery room. But today, you are getting married. There is no girl like you, Kel. And I am the luckiest damn girl on this earth because I get to have you for a sister. Thank you for being amazing. Thank you for knowing exactly what I am thinking without my saying a word. Thank you for holding my hand through the tough stuff. Thank you for letting me show my true mean mom side and not judging me for it. And thank you for picking Justin, there just isn't a better guy out there for you. You don't often do things wrong sis-and this is no exception. I cannot wait to watch all your firsts as a married woman firsthand. I love you with every single piece of my heart. Congratulations!


Cheers to one of the best couples I know, and I am totally not biased.







No comments:

Post a Comment